10 pitted dates (or 6 medjool dates)
¼ cup hot water
½ cup toasted nuts or seeds (I used ¼ cup almonds, ¼ cup sunflower seeds)
2 tablespoons cacao powder
1 serve (25g) Two Islands salted caramel protein powder
2 tablespoons honey/maple/sugar
5 tablespoons milk of choice
1. Soak dates in hot water while you gather the remaining ingredients.
2. In a food processor, roughly chop the nuts and seeds.
3. Add the softened dates and the soaking water. Blend until dates are completely pureed.
4. Scrape out paste, and mix in the cacao powder, protein powder and sweetener of choice until well combined.
5. Mix in milk tablespoon by tablespoon to loosen mixture, until it is wet enough that it holds it's shape when pressed down and does not crumble away. The amount you need will depend on the type of sweetener, and how finely you ground the nuts and seeds.
6. Press firmly into a small rectangular dish (mine measures 10x15cm) lined with baking paper; alternatively you can roll these into small balls.
7. Refrigerate until firm, around 2 hours, before slicing into bars.